View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneice View Post
Amazing system! Congrats.

For rake - I think it is easiest to start where you know it is wrong and you know which way you need to move. I like starting with the speakers angled too far out where the sound stage is too thin in the middle and gradually work my way in. At some point that nice thick image will begin to get muddy and I know I've gone too far.

I've read that in general you want the axis of the tweeters to cross a few feet behind your head in the listening position. But that is pretty rough. Much prefer to do by ear.

Since, I'm no pro - I find that I can get it to 90%-95% on my first attempt and then have to dial it in over a series of sessions.

Congrats again!
Sounds like you are describing toe-in rather than rake. I think of rake as the vertical angle of the speaker in relation to the floor. Toe-in as the horizontal angle of the speaker in relation to the listener. I have always taken toe-in very seriously in my set up since it impacts soundstage and timbre, but to be honest I have never really paid much attention to rake. Experimented a little with minor adjustments to the height of the spikes and could never really hear a difference, certainly not as much difference as what proper toe-in makes (to my ears anyway). May have to revisit that as Sonus faber and other manufacturers clearly takes rake pretty seriously.