View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 09:22 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrenwick View Post
So I promised myself I would get into the Beatles with my new hifi and would prefer to do so in Mono. I see the box set is available but very expensive considering its over double what it was at release.

What are my options if I am looking to hear all the albums at close to the originals as possible? I am wrong in thinking all the albums were done originally in mono?

I was emailing Michael Fremer and he implied they were going to be released individually in mono, but I haven't seen that yet.

Also, I have seen the Beatles EP Collection from Japan - what is the word on those pressings?

Thanks!
You've got several options, unfortunately none of them are what I would consider "cheap". The best by far would be to secure original UK monos but you're going to pay a hefty price, plus worry about condition etc since all of these albums are going to be considered "collectors" items. I also have the Beatles box set in Mono on standard redbook CD....I believe this box was released in 2006 or 07, can't remember exactly but they sound pretty good as well. Unless you want to get into $$$ and the collectors market, the Mono Vinyl Box set of a few years ago is really the best way to go about doing this. They sound fantastic and you don't really have to worry about condition assuming it's a new set or only played a couple of times. I haven't looked but I guess these sets are going for quite a bit more money now that they're out of print? If you want to just go for it and not worry about everything else, this would be the way to go and be done with it. Remember that the Mono box set goes up to Magical Mystery Tour......Abbey Road and Let It Be isn't included since they're stereo albums.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3