View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
Philip,

I think that at least some of the difference you heard between the two amps (MX-R vs Momentum) comes down to the fact that MX-R is not really happy driving difficoult loads (1.8 Ohm in case of Sasha).
Adam,

Whilst the Ayre MX-R's are no slouch in the amplification department, there could be some truth to what you say above given the relative obvious absolute authority that the Momentum monoblock amps imposed upon the Wilson Sasha W/P's when I demo'ed them, despite both amps' respective spec. sheets, rating them at 300Wpc/600Wpc into 8ohms/4ohms (the Momentum monoblock specs also mention 1,200Wpc into 2ohms) - then again, specs versus actual performance are never always quite the same.

That being said, many individuals (including reviewers) have resoundingly declared that the Ayre MX-R's are capable of effortlessly driving Sasha W/P's without so much as a hint of strain at any level.

Be that as it may, I personally feel that it's all relative, in that if I never demo'ed the Momentum monoblocks, I would probably have felt that the Ayre MX-R's drove the Wilson Sasha W/P's exceedingly well providing an outstanding sonic performance in-line with my musical tastes. However, as superb as the Ayre MX-R's are, the Momentum monoblocks incredibly raised the bar another notch for me.

I'm sure that there will be those in this hobby who will possess differing opinions to yours or mine regarding the above, but that's the beauty of this hobby, as there is no absolute best or worse gear/system, just a whole lot of diverse preferences!

Philip