View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
I'm all for acoustic treatment, but to do it without being in the room and listening I'm sceptical.
I can understand that. This is why I've suggested to test the room if you want a quantifiable analysis. Otherwise, our suggestions are based on the problems you hear (flutter echo and boomy or weak bass are pretty obvious problems), but more involved problems can sometimes be tricky to visualize without testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
Why exactly? Of course a "in room" analysis would be idea. Keep in mind that common room surfaces have a fixed range of acoustic properties (carpet, sheet rock, etc.) and once the dimensions are known the rooms analysis can be done (or so I believe).
A room analysis from the dimensions and surfaces in the room is done through modeling, but isn't the best way to go about a room if its already been constructed. These are for pre-construction so you can make assumptions about how the room will sound, what the dimensions should be, what treatments need to be employed, etc. Some models can actually be quite accurate, but if the room is already built the best way to go about it is to test the room.

----

Again, if anyone has a microphone handy, I do suggest testing your room! It is much easier to understand why certain songs sound certain ways when you do, and makes it much easier to understand how much treatment you should need.

Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)