View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Valhalla 2 was really designed as an output transformer-less triode amp primarily for the Sennheisers HD-series, due to their high impedance of 300 ohms. Its an amplifier design that has been demonstrated to work particularly well for that series of headphones and even pretty well for HD800s, and so there are so many Senn HD 600/650s (soon to be 660s) in circulation, that Schiit made an amp that pretty much targeted this line, though it works very well with a number other headphones, as Serge can atttest. Lyr is a high-power amplifier more intended for low-efficiency orthos and planars, e.g. HiFi Man, Abyss, some Audezes, etc.

If this is going on your nightstand, I'd recommend possibly starting with the Vali 2 headphone amp and Modi Multibit DAC. Vali 2 puts 1 W into 32 ohms and should drive your two headphones just fine. Modi Multibit has a DAC chip and closed-form filter very similar to Bifrost MB. It sounds quite comparable to Bifrost, but doesn't have Bifrost's power supply or upgradeability. When it comes to Schiit gear, the best advice I can give is not to be put off by the low price. Vali 2 has gotten terrific reviews from the seriously hardcore headphone guys at HF and SBAF, and Modi Multibit punches WAY above it's price point. Just ask Serge about how my little $149 Loki DSD DAC sounds.

This would be would be a great starting point, IMO.

If you like this setup, and want to take Modi Multibit to an even higher level, you can add the Schiit Eitr, Schiit's $179 USB/SPDIF convertor, and go USB from your Squeezebox Touch to Eitr and then RCA digital coax to the SPDIF port on Modi Mutlibit. Eitr is an absolutely killer product that, in my estimation, would compete comparably with the Berkeley Alpha USB that sells for $1800. It will give you Schiit's Gen 5 USB interface implementation, which sounds notably better than the USB that is on Modi Multibit. You can stack Modi Multibit on Eitr, and Vali on top of Modi MB, for a very compact "Schiit-stack".
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-11-2017 at 08:37 PM.