View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
Recently traded my Halcro DM68's for a pair of ML 53 monoblocks. For the past 25 years (other than the excursion with Halcro the past 6 years), I've only owned either Krell or ML solid state amps. I've loved them all. So I'm faced with a decision at upgrade time: Try another brand or go back and look at Krell / ML after major company realignments. Looked at Krell first. Purchased by financial investers, not an audio company. This is a red flag to me. Already knew D'Agostino was gone. The Evolution monoblocks were "discontinued" according to the company. The entire top end of their amp line was very long in the tooth. Too much risk there for the time being at least.

Back to ML. Lots of recent product releases. Owned by an audio company. Been stable for some time. Had a dealer in town. He had both the 33H's and a pair of 53's. The 53's were set up and driving big speakers with good sound. Couldn't make any critical judgments because my front end is better then the demo room's. Also different acoustics etc., etc. The sound was detailed, weighty and well imaged. The demo convinced me that the amps still had the soul of the ML house sound. How much I didn't know. Next thing I know the wallet was out, my eyes rolled back and I don't remember anything else except the way the wife was looking at me that night.

The amps are still breaking in but they are already the equal of the Halcro's, the best amps I ever owned. I've always been a solid state guy that values imaging and accuracy over all else. The ML's deliver just like they always did.

They run cool, much cooler than any Krell I ever owned. As far as I can tell, they put out enough power to drive sand. Absolutely no issues with my 800D's. The cats are incensed as there is no good place on the towers to sit and get warm. They voted for a Krell solution. They'll just have to deal with it. I'm a happy ML fan.

Cincy
Cincy
Nice write up.

That is a very nice set-up you have there. I just can't get myself to consider the Opus cables even though they sound so good.

Jim