View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I personally feel you should identify the weak links with more scrutiny. Your speakers seem fine for now, why not borrow some different brands of amplifier and source gear? Why are you so invested in ayre if it's not giving the sound you want?

I bet if you try some other brands, you'll be shocked at how good the speakers can sound.

Also, speaker placement and room treatments may be necessary no matter how much you spend on gear. Try that, too.

Don't underestimate what cables can do, also.

I would try those things before giving up on your speakers.
Marc, thank you very much for the advice. I've struggled with your question about why am I so invested in Ayre if it's not giving me the sound I want and I ask the same question about the Amati Futura. I debate on which is not giving me the sound I'm looking for or maybe it's just not the right combo for me. Albeit, it really does sound great; I just want more detail.

One question that a friend of mind kept asking is "what do I want to build my system around?" My Amati Futura's or my Ayre gear? Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Ayre KX-R/MX-R Twenty and QX-5 Twenty, so it looks like I've made the decision to build around Ayre R Twenty series. I've lusted after the Ayre R Series for years and I just couldn't pass up this deal. I know I would regret not taking advantage of this deal while it was available.

There's so much great gear out there, and I think Ayre is one of those products with good customer service. I also like how compact it is. I'm not a big fan of big electronic pieces. For me, my preference is to incorporate high performing small gear in my media cabinet. I love D'Agastino too, but really expensive. I think Ayre R Twenty Series will compete with Dag and/or get me close at much less cost.

Once I get the R Series in, I will break it in and then start looking at room treatment and cable selection. I've been hesitant on room treatment because I've been contemplating moving, so don't want to waste money on room treatment if I end up moving.

Worst case scenario is Amati Futura not a perfect match for Ayre R Twenty series, but maybe it will be... we shall see. I'll see what improvement the R series bring and also look at cable selection and room treatment. If after this I still don't get the performance I'm looking for, I'll look at other speakers for a good match with this gear. Some speakers that come to mind and I need to start auditioning are Wilson Alexia, Vivid Giya 2, Sonus Faber Il Cremonese, and Vandersteen Model Seven Mk II.

Let the journey begin (or continue)!

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean