View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 09:02 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston 3.14 Best of Show (Preamp/Streamer/DAC)

The Best of Florida Audio Expo 2020
Bryston BDA-3.14 DAC

Bryston’s BDA-3 digital-to-analog converter has long been praised by audio reviewers for offering state-of-the-art sound quality and a host of features for a very reasonable price. Those features include a plethora of digital inputs -- four HDMI, two USB, one AES/EBU (XLR), one S/PDIF (RCA), one S/PDIF (BNC), and one S/PDIF (TosLink) -- as well as user-adjustable upsampling for some inputs, and resolutions of up to 32-bit/384kHz PCM and DSD512 (both via USB).

Now, for just $400 more, the new BDA-3.14, which Bryston demonstrated at FAE 2020, adds to the BDA-3 an Ethernet port, built-in streaming (Qobuz and Tidal are supported), and a digital volume control that lets you bypass a preamplifier altogether and connect the BDA-3.14 directly to a power amp -- something Jeff now does in his home system.

For me, what most matters is the BDA-3.14’s built-in streamer. As I listened, I began mentioning obscure albums to Bryston’s Gary Dayton, who immediately turned to the computer screen behind him and cued them up to play via the BDA-3.14’s browser-based interface. That convenience of streaming is a handy thing to have built right into a DAC – GOOD JOB, BRYSTON , for taking the BDA-3 to a new level for not much more retail cost.

Doug Schneider
Soundstage Magazine