Thread: Subs for Salon2
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 11:06 AM

Gary: For the record, the Salon 2 woofers cross over at 150Hz. This still takes the three 8" LF drivers largely out of the equation for two octaves when using an 80 or 90Hz knee. Also for the record, Barry Ober (JLA) suggested a higher crossover point of a minimum 80 Hz so that became my starting point. If I told you everything he suggested, you' might think I was mistaken for following his directives but using his basic approach I have achieved a good balance or at least one that satisfies me. Since my experimenting has been done with his advice in mind, that's how I came to initially opt for higher knees. I will be changing out the crossover points over the next several months but as I mentioned previously, coming up with a "best" scenario by cut and try takes a lot of listening as the combo seems to be pretty forgiving. Yet there's sure to be a preferred point so the trials will continue.

Trying to achieve a happy balance without a good electronic crossover proved futile in my situation. The best results in that scenario required a low pass setting at the sub of below 40Hz but that sacrificed a great deal of impact. That doesn't seem to be the case when using an external crossover set to a higher knee but rest assured that every frequency option will eventually be explored and reported on to the best of my ability.

As you (sort of) infer, to a great extent the satisfaction achieved by selecting various knees is a function of what one is looking for. If impact and big slam is wanted, it seems like the higher crossover points provide that. If greater delicacy and 'snap' are desired, perhaps a lower crossover point may be the ticket. Shooting for the kind of flat response the Salons achieve in the mids and highs seems secondary as it's almost impossible to replicate that in a typical domestic environment. At least I can't seem to get there in the bass regions with the tools I have.

Last edited by Pampero; 04-11-2018 at 12:33 PM.