View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 03:06 PM
Cool, calm scientist

My EtherREGEN (ER) arrived just before 6 PM last night; set it up with a minor change to my prior configuration.

Here was my configuration prior to the arrival of ER using my Pace router* w/ 4 RJ45 ports† that function an "Ethernet switch".

Bedroom/Study: Mac Mini/Roon Core->copper Ethernet->Pace router->copper Ethernet->TP-link FMC w/ Sonore SOPT-specification optical tranceiver->Tripp-Lite OM-1 LC/LC fiber running direct from study to main audio rack in living room.

Living Room/Main Audio Rack:
Fiber (from bedroom/study) -> Sonore Optical Module -> copper Ethernet-> SOtM UltraNeo network bridge->USB cable->Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC††.

Gotta say, this setup sounded pretty dang good, however....

New configuration (with changes bolded/italicized):

Bedroom/Study:
Mac Mini/Roon Core->copper Ethernet->Pace router->copper Ethernet->Optical Module->Tripp-Lite OM-1 LC/LC fiber running to main audio rack.
Living Room/Main Audio Rack:
Fiber (from bedroom/study) -> ER using SFP/optical transceiver on A-side -> copper Ethernet on ER B-side-> SOtM UltraNeo network bridge->USB cable->Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC††.

(all Ethernet cables are Shunyata Sigma; USB cable is Shunyata Alpha USB)

First impressions right out of the box Saturday night....
Listening to Kenny Burrell's “Saturday Night Blues” on the Midnight Blue (24/192Khz) album, and I can I can hear the "reflection" of Kenny's guitar off the far wall in the recording studio...his guitar is on the left, and I can the secondary reflection of his guitar off the opposite, right wall in the room they were playing in…whoa.

Most of what I noticed was a lower noise floor, a quieter, and more natural presentation with improved imaging spacious, definition and "clarity" (e.g. hearing the secondary reflection of Kenny's guitar off the opposite wall in the recording studio). And this is with <90 minutes of burn-in time.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-11-2019 at 03:24 PM.