View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
I've had good results with their older all-silver models. Their silver is much more resolving than the copper, and you can biwire with silver up top and copper down low for good results. But you need to keep the high/low geometry as similar as possible for best results (AQ will tell you the same). E.g. KE-4 (silver) and GO-4 (copper), or Kilimanjaro (silver) and Mont Blanc (copper).

The current prices on their silver speaker cables are through the roof, but many vintage models deliver the goods for less $$$$ if you do the research. I currently run a double Kilimanjaro 6' biwire, which yields the same AWG, metal, and geometry as one of their WEL Signature cables (over $20 K for a 6 ft pair!!). I've previously run a Kilimanjaro/Mont Blanc biwire (50/50 silver/copper and less resolving but still good) and a KE-4/Mont Blanc biwire (less coherent due to the differing geometries, with the copper Mont Blanc being bigger). In their current lineup they do an internal biwire design (each half geometrically being like a Mont Blanc or Kilimanjaro) with proportionally more silver vs. copper as you go up the line: Oak (100% copper), Redwood (a little silver), Wild (more than 50% silver), and WEL (100% silver).

Again, AQ will chop/shorten/reterminate as necessary to allow you to source bargains on the used market and still end up with the perfect biwire match. Their current 1000 series connectors (bananas or spades) are superb, and reasonably priced. Not to mention they look gorgeous.

For their current line, their Redwood is a very good sounding cable; I tried an 8' pair in my system a few years ago. It will be close to a Klimanjaro/Mont Blanc biwire (this mix has a bit more silver than the Redwood overall), but the latter can be had for a bit less cash. The double Kilimanjaro (being pure silver 9 AWG) beats the Redwood for sure.
another very good older AQ speaker cable that was all copper was VOLCANO. I owned Mont Blanc, Gibraltar, Volcano (3 pairs) and Kilimanjaro. Volcano was superior IMHO to MB.