View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 04:56 PM

Default Dectet out, SurgeX in...

Hello all.

I own a PS Audio PerfectWave P-10 and a P-5 Power Plants. These units are pretty awesome. The P-10 manages my MC205, MC452, and MC501. The P-5 manages an MC202, MX121, MCD500, D100 (x2), and BHA-1.

When I decided I didn't have the $$$$ for a third Power Plant, I opted to stay with PS Audio and go for their more economical solution, The Dectet Power Center. At $499 MSRP, it offered a great bang for your buck. It would be used to manage my digital components, namely: Cable DVR, Internet Router, Oppo 103, Mac Mini, Apple Time Capsule, Sonos Connect, and a Wyred4Sound Remedy. I really like the Dectet's form and feel, as well as its functionality.

Unfortunately, the Dectet did not work for me. The first unit kept "tripping", turning the power off, blinking its blue light, and not re-setting itself (as it is apparently supposed to do). I tried moving cables around within the unit, and I even had my electrician install an additional pair of wall outlets, thinking that maybe I was pulling too much. In the meantime, the unit kept failing.

So I removed the Dectet and packed it up and returned it to PS Audio. I replaced it with an old Belkin power strip/surge protector from the mid-90's I still carry around and had stored in the closet. PS Audio agreed to send me a replacement, no questions asked (kudos to them). In the meantime my Belkin strip performed flawlessly

Unfortunately, the second brand new unit did the same! By now I had read about a software problem with "earlier" Dectets that behave the same way as mine. Instead of pursuing this software glitch, and spending more valuable time on it, I replaced the second unit with a different product I was familiar with.

Enter the SurgeX SA-1810:

This unit has been eye opening. It has never failed, and it is just as solid, well built, and quiet as the Dectet (arguably, as I am starting to feel, it is better in all accounts).

(I already owned two SurgeX products, the SA-82's, which I use to manage each of my JL Audio subs. These SA-82's BTW are great if you have subs that are out of reach from your main Power Management units. You can hide them behind your subs and easily conceal their presence if so desired.)

Compared to the Dectet:

The SurgeX unit is cheaper (MSRP is $429)
The SurgeX is narrower, taller, and shorter, and overall more compact.
The SurgeX design is not as streamlined as the Dectet, being a little more boxy and spartan in looks and feel.
The Surgex has a non-detachable PC, which does not allow you to upgrade your PC

I will leave the specific quality of the circuitry, the materials, components, and layout used in each product for the evaluation of those of you who have the knowledge, and interest. I only care about the sound/image.

I was afraid the SurgeX, because it seems to be a less-often discussed brand among the hobby's blogs and clubs, would not be at the same level of performance as PS Audio. I was afraid I would detect (no pun intended) perhaps some noise in the sound or video background since all my sources all hooked up to it. Instead, I sense no difference whatsoever

I would have liked to be able to add my WW Silver Electra PC to it, but now that I have an extra cable, I am on my way to replacing my subs' 4 PS Audio AC-5 PC's with WW.

So if you're looking at more affordable ways of power conditioning/surge protecting, and you simply don't care much about looks, these boxes (they come in different sizes) are excellent.

Cheers!!