View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
I have listened to both the Ref 75 and solid state amplification (Ayre mono blocks) on the Alexia's and there was no doubt at all about which was driving the Alexia properly.
The Ref 75 is an awesome piece of equipment, though not the right tool for that speaker. The Alexia has an impedance dip down 2 ohms in it's curve. That speaker needs and craves power and current in my opinion. Again, the Ref 75 is wonderful, but made for a specific niche that doesn't require lots of power. I don't think it would do the Alexia's justice. Only my opinion and experience, though to me, there was a clear advantage to the more powerful and solid state amps when used with the Wilson's. for perspective, I am a tube and ARC fan and owner, but you have to match that speaker properly to get the best out of it.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but my Sasha's also dip down to 2 ohms, and the Ref75 handled that just fine. I am wondering what is different about the load the Alexias present? By way of comparison, the bass grip and depth was much better with the Ref75 than my MC452! I still don't quite understand that. I think the MC452 might have been a bit more "punchy", but not as well defined and deep.