View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 10:29 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
A SOTA Sapphire or Nova is an excellent buy. I got hooked on vinyl for life when I wisely chose to start with a SOTA Star III (predecessor to Nova). They will run forever with minimal maintenance. Their highly effective suspension means you don't need to design exotic, difficult, or expensive isolation solutions around the deck. I still have mine, refreshed to Nova V status. Get an exotic wood and it will turn heads for life. The SME 309 should be a good match. I had no problem changing the belt on my SOTA; never heard that before? I have a Clearaudio Master Innovation I also love but it is 6x the price much more difficult to optimize; requires a lot of external isolation.

I seem to keep quoting this. I just like the TT pic!

Do you know what performance differences, real or theoretical, exist between the Sapphire and Nova? Wondering what the extra $900 for the Nova gets you. I also queried Donna at Sota on this. No reply just yet. I do know there are physical differences with the sub-chassis and the Nova's platter appears to be thicker, but that could be due to the Nova's thicker sub-chassis (1") vs. the Sapphire (.125"). And the Nova sub-chassis is aluminum and acrylic, as opposed to the Sapphire's, which has MDF in it as well.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 12-28-2019 at 10:00 PM.