View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 06:37 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
A SOTA Sapphire or Nova is an excellent buy. I got hooked on vinyl for life when I wisely chose to start with a SOTA Star III (predecessor to Nova). They will run forever with minimal maintenance. Their highly effective suspension means you don't need to design exotic, difficult, or expensive isolation solutions around the deck. I still have mine, refreshed to Nova V status. Get an exotic wood and it will turn heads for life. The SME 309 should be a good match. I had no problem changing the belt on my SOTA; never heard that before? I have a Clearaudio Master Innovation I also love but it is 6x the price much more difficult to optimize; requires a lot of external isolation.

I forgot to ask, which tonearm are you using? BTW, I like the looks of your SOTA. I need to reach out to them again, as I never heard from them. Perhaps they somehow didn't get my e-mail inquiry.

With all the areas I'm considering, trying to determine where to take this, it occurred to me I'm overwhelming myself. Lately I've been dealing in speakers, investigating in Polk's L800 flagship, but the "fuzzy" specs are turning me off a bit. I can't focus properly on any one area if I'm running around on several, so I may want to re-calibrate.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks