View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eziggy View Post
Sorry didn't mean to imply Firebirds were the cause for you disliking the Thunderbird. It's pretty simple, you listened and it didn't work, which is the only way to do it.

I do agree that their price hike is hard to justify especially if you are happy with what you have. However, I don't call it laughable since this is a synergy and preference thing. In my system the Thunderbirds Zeros perform well (so far) without the bass cable. The dealer recommended Zero + Bass which comes at a certain price point. It similar to a someone recommending the Wild cables and you try the Oaks. Pretty awesome that the Clarus Crimsons can best the Thunderbirds though. If you need spend more than double to come close in you system, then really why bother.

I spoke to the AQ guys a few times about these cables. They were comparing the Thunderbirds (zero + bass) to the Wilds and WELs. IF that's true, then the Thunderbird combo comes at a lower price point. I haven't heard the comparison so can't comment on it. This is all in the AQ world that is, not comparing to other brands which may have bigger bang for the buck. With their new pricing strategy it's hard to believe there aren't other brands of cables which can come close to, if not beat, at way lower price points.
Several points: I believe the new full range AQ cables are of a significantly smaller gauge than the comparable older cables. For example the Redwood that I chose for my subwoofer system is 9 whereas the comparable newer Firebird Bass is I believe 10.5. Based on the bass I have in my system both its power and definition/resolution/sensitivity no way I would want to change to a Firebird Bass for my Thor. I would not remotely consider "upgrading" to a full range 10.5 Dragon from my 9 Wels for my main speakers. I have zero interest in speakers that allow for the signal to be split externally. AQ seems to be wanting new customers to strongly consider this route in their new speaker purchase by the very fact they are making full range and bass cables. I like the heavier full range single cable and would want a 9 gauge full range Dragon for my Wilson Alexx. When you buy a speaker that can be bi/tri amped the manufacturer is implicitly making the statement that the best sound comes this way, and then you are sucked into buying multiple cables/amps etc. I respectfully refuse. I pity the poor novice that enters in to the high end these days which has become a morass of stupidity and endless expense/complexity.

Last edited by Charles; 03-31-2019 at 04:55 AM.