Thread: New 800 series
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefer11 View Post
Products made in foriegn countries and imported to America cause an enourmous number of Americans to be employed. From the docks to transportation to distributors to retailers and everything in between. This idea that foriegn made goods do not benefit some Americans, although it may have hurt others, is misguided. And there are arguments made that in many cases, the net employment increases with imported goods.

As for pricing, goods are priced at what the market will bear, or they disappear from the market.
The American made goods add the raw materials, American paid man hours, facility/factory build out, up keep, maintenance, taxes, while retaining the transportation, distribution, retailers, etc... Oh, yeah, the taxes and profits are also recycled back into our economy for the most part. The most "patriotic" approach is to buy products from a small independent American company, this way it is a "closed loop" and the money stays here. Buying McIntosh, for example may keep some American folks employed but where does the profit go? At least now it is Bain Capital which is Boston based and they invest in many American companies such as AMC Entertainment, Brookstone, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Domino's Pizza, DoubleClick, Guitar Center, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), Sealy, The Sports Authority, Toys R Us, Unisource, Warner Music Group and The Weather Channel.

Most of my gear is and was from small American companies like Lamm, Ayre, Cary, Conrad Johnson, BAT, Convergent Audio Technology, Rogue Audio, Wilson just to name a few. Come to think of it, the only foreign products are the Clearaudio table and the EAR phono stage.

When it comes to cars, I wish American companies would offer something more competitive so I could switch.