View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 12:17 PM

As you probably already know, the magnetic recording technique was developed by a Danish man .

"Valdemar Poulsen (23 November 1869 – 23 July 1942) was a Danish engineer who made significant contributions to early radio technology. He developed a magnetic wire recorder called the telegraphone in 1899 and the first continuous wave radio transmitter, the Poulsen arc transmitter, in 1903, which was used in some of the first broadcasting stations until the early 1920s."
"The first wire recorder was invented in 1898 by Danish engineer Valdemar Poulsen, who gave his product the trade name Telegraphone. Wire recorders for dictation and telephone recording were made almost continuously by various companies (mainly the American Telegraphone Company) through the 1920s and 1930s, but use of this new technology was extremely limited."

Danish company Lyrec started back in 1945 building Syncronous motors and later in 1950 their first tape recorder.

This company has always been Hi-End but the marketing department was not as good as in other companies. Lyrec mainly sold their tape recorders in Denmark, Sweden and other nearby countries.
Though their extremely high quality is widely known.
To find a Lyric is not that easy. Thera are few. Many of them are in good shape. Not that much used and great built with long lastning engineering.
Lyrec Frida is one of the last developed tape recorder in the world (early 1990's). Typical Danish design, a bit of B&O design I think. Rock solid quality. Quite small and just 12kg.
It's kind of a dream R2R-machine.

I suddenly crashed into one. I was deeply wounded and had to deal with the owner until he gave up.

This is Lyrec Frida mkII.

The sound is modern. Extreme control all over the range and very clean and high resolution. The bas is deep, hard and with great texture. Nothing is missed in the details. Airy sound. If you compere an old Studer C37 with tubes that has a great ambience and live like spice, Frida is more correct in a way but without missing the hart of the music. It's quite a different thing. Both really good but I think Frida is more all round and it adds less to the recording. The recording passes clean through Frida.
And Frida is a blast to operate. The feedback from all knobs and bottons are spot on.

Last edited by Apexorca; 04-23-2018 at 01:48 PM.