View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
Ray, just give a couple of very early impressions... they still have less than 50hrs up atm.

The frames are much deeper on the 3.7s contributing to their mass which gives them quite a head start over the 3.7s. Even off sound anchors they are considerably more focussed.

If you have your 3.7s singing well atm then I doubt there'll be too many problems with 20.7s. I put mine up on to Sound Anchor stands today and that started to overload the room a bit so just pulled them in a touch and all is fine again. The stands are a bit like swapping out to a track suspension, there is a bit more comfort in the standard stands but I haven't hit any bumps yet.

I just put a Shunyata Cyclops into the system this afternoon and that really pulled the music right back into it's skin. They are sounding very beautiful and very real.

My greatest worry was that in moving to the bigger speaker I might lose some of the coherence and agility of the 3.7s, truth is it goes a good step up in terms of both. Somehow the midrange is even better again. There is no area in which they haven't improved on the 3.7 (sorry guys) which is mindblowing given they are just a week old. Don't know how good they can get but the next couple of months are certainly sounding sweet.

Working out at something more than $10K for an additional 10khz these are amongst the best k's I've spent in a long time. It's so much more than a bit of extra bass, it's like the foundations of the architecture of the music just got so much stronger and deeper as well... the bass fundamentals give the whole system a far greater potential.

Good luck with the set-up Ian, you've got it ahead of you and really look forward to hearing how it goes.
The coherence was my biggest single worry also on the 20.7s! I almost convinced myself that the 20.7s couldn't possibly be as good in this regard.

I was worried I'd have the 20.7s, which no doubt would be better in most areas at the expense of that magical coherence of the 3.7s. I'm absolutely thrilled to see your comment relating to this!!! ...ok Ray, enough already with the emoticons!

I've got the 3.7s dialed in position wise now, nice wide and deep soundstage, great focus in the center with mono recordings. I'll start off with the 20.7s in the same position and work from there.