Thread: Make or Break !
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Searching for the Sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I would never have used a pair of Lamm on the Q7, wrong match, not enough headroom, the amp is slowing down the speakers.
The Q7 were the most amazing speaker I have ever heard when driven by the big Dartzeel amp: highest level of dynamism, extremely musical, lowest distortion. They sounded also amazing with the small constellation audio and with Vitus amp. I always found Magico speakers too fast and transparent for tubes. I would prefer using a pure class A like the Vitus or a very musical amp like the Dartzeel to get both the musicality of tubes and the speed and transparency of best transistors
Totally agree. Not really sure why this dealer would match those two. If he had to use Lamm, the only amp which may work (and IMO- it still wouldn't be a great match) would be the 1.2's, a hybrid design that is able to generate gobs amount of current.

I had a similar experience with Audio Research (REF 210s) driving the Q5's. The music just sounded slow and off. While the Magico's aren't my cup of tea (that's not to say they aren't a great speaker), they sounded significantly better paired with Boulder and Spectral.

Rich
Speakers: Thiel 3.6
Cables: Transparent Power Protection: PS Audio PPP