View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 01:41 AM

Default 1.2KW’s on their way!

For the past few weeks I’ve been contemplating some new mono amps for a new 2 channel set up given I currently have everything in one room...

My McIntosh 452 will move downstairs for my 5.1 set up which means shopping for new amps to drive (for now) my current 802D2’s.

With the new 1.25KW’s and 611’s coming out, my dealer was happy to sell his demo 1.2KW’s / 601’s for a cracking deal - the question was which pair to go for, bearing in mind I’m also looking at the new 800/802 D3’s. First world decisions hey!

After a few hrs of listening with my wife to a wide variety of music, we both found the 1.2KW’s just sounded better consistently. With my fairly limited knowledge compared to many here, the extra headroom and current that these have over the 601’s delivered more dynamics, better bass, a bigger soundstage and more detail.

I was somewhat reluctant about the extra spend on the 1.2’s but there was no question for us that they are worth it! They should be freighted tomorrow and fingers crossed ready for the weekend. The only thing I am not looking forward to is moving these beasts!!!

What a crazy hobby this is!!