View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 04:50 PM
The Architect

Default New Air Conditioner injecting EMI/RFI noise into household power lines

Earlier this year I replaced my aging furnace and A/C units with new Carrier Infinity systems. They came highly rated and recommended. The furnace worked great over the winter and I'm very happy with it. Same feedback on the new air conditioner with how it has kept the house much more evenly cool over the summer, plus a nice drop in our summer electrical bill.

HOWEVER...

The new A/C is a 5 speed variable motor and I believe it is injecting electrical noise back into the breaker panel and spreading it into the electrical wiring in the house. This only happens when the A/C is turned on, just the furnace or the fan is no noise. I'm getting a high pitched whine from my PurePower 2000 that is beyond annoying and intermittent noise coming through my speakers off and on that wasn't there before. I have multiple PS Audio Noise Harvesters plugged into the outlets in the room, and they light up like a Christmas tree when the A/C is on, and go almost dark when it's off, so I have at least a visual verification and validation of what is going on.

I've been working with the local A/C company, and they had an electrician come out to check the breaker panel, wiring, grounding, tried switching phase, and none of that has made any difference. I wanted to reach out to the AA community and see if anyone has seen or heard of this type of issue, and if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations. I've done a lot of searching and reading online, and there isn't too much out there outside of an article or two on a couple of HAM radio web forums. I'm still doing some more investigating and researching on those.

Thanks, and I look forward to everyone's thoughts and suggestions!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables