View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Alberto.......Your last two sentences seem to reflect incongruous points.
Dan, that's the best way I could think of expressing my complete and total satisfaction with the system I currently have, while admitting the possibility that it could get even better, and that the gear part of the audiophile equation may be satisfied and stay dormant for a while, but it rarely goes away completely. Boys like their toys.

An upgrade to, say, a Masseto, would be fun and exciting for the "gear-head" part of the hobby that Serge talked about - the new shiny toy experience. But, unlike some of my audio acquisitions in the past, it would not be motivated by any need or desire to fix a specific deficiency in the system.

As you may recall from my posts in the past about feeling the need for tone controls and loudness compensation, there was always something slightly amiss in the experience. That something manifested itself on lesser recordings. My system shined with beautifully recorded material, but a few too many of my favorite records needed EQ help, and low-level listening was not satisfying without loudness.

I am not sure what combination of Shindo tubes, vintage parts or SET topology addressed my problem with lesser recordings but it's gone for good. I get delicious sound 100% of the time, and I can't get enough of it. I eagerly anticipate listening sessions and regret having to end them. What more can I ask of a system.

I hope this helps to explain it better.

Alberto