View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 09:18 AM

doggiehowser writes:
The Chord DAVE to my knowledge hasn’t had one. Neither has my Chord Mojo.

-> Chord UK don't offer software updates. Rob Watts mentions he puts in enormous effort to get the design and sound right first go. The DAVE DAC is pretty spot on.

In fact, I still find the DAVE to edge out my PS Audio DirectStream with most inputs even when the PS Audio has had numerous updates. That said the gap has closed considerably when using the Memory Transport (I2S) and with the Network Bridge 2.

->I've owned both DAVE and PSA Directstream DACS and agree the CHORD DAVE (at nearly twice the price mind you) is my choice without question. Why, the DAVE has next to no noise, and groups instrument sounds so well, compared to the Directstream that seems a like continual data flow of frequencies.
I've also tried the Directstream transport with the DAVE DAC via ODIN2 digital cable AES/EBU, and the transport itself has got my respect.

This thread being on Esoteric's new SACD / FPGA DAC, if Esoteric can come close (or better) the CHORD CD Blu2 M-Scaler with DAVE DAC in dual mode (with mandatory Wave Fidelity- Storm Ref dual BNC cables), then it will be amazing.

The above CHORD trio sounds so good with a mega 3D soundstage, that even though its CD only Phillips CD Pro2, its 95% as good sounding as SACD.

Last edited by Anthony; 04-11-2020 at 09:25 AM.