View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Serge - it would be interesting to edit these videos and remove all the visual cues - maybe just a black screen with a number on it. Only the audio would be different. Then see what the results are.

Tom
Tom, that’s the interesting part. I myself didn’t need a screen.. After quite a few of the not so inexpensive “vertical upgrades” in cables, amps and speakers, I came to the realization that for the most part we tend to really complicate our lives willingly.

A good speaker is just that, a good speaker. For the most part, when we compare, it is often something we heard elsewhere, in a different room, at different volume level.

I nearly fell out of the chair the first time I was introduced to the sheer dynamic punch and eye flinching/gut punching/rectum puckering, dynamic slam of the big Wilson Alexandrias...

Surely there are instances where a bigger, much more expensive speaker will shine and be clearly better.

In my case, the Sophia, followed by Sasha, followed by Alexia, going from basic Transparent cables to the obscenely priced levels, from the fantastic, great bang for the buck Bryston Amps to the marvelous D’Agostinos at multiples of the price, while yielding an improvement, has also underlined the fact that the higher up one goes, the steeper the diminishing returns are.

I could have drawn the line anywhere along those rungs up the ladder of audio nirvana and been perfectly happy.

For me a lesson was learned, I got so burned out by the constant push from the dealer who really meant the best (full trade in values for vertical upgrades!) and erecting illusive scenarios in my mind, that I started to forget what it was like to simply sit, let the analytical mind rest and enjoy what I had already accomplished.

As always, this is IMHO, and YMMV...

Last edited by PHC1; 07-11-2019 at 01:03 PM.