View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 10:56 AM

Default Timbre Matching 101 for an amateur

For many reasons (mostly financial), I've been slow-rolling finishing the HT in my new home. I feel like 2018 is the time to stand this up and I am finding I have more questions than I know how to handle. I am also finding that the answer to most AV system challenges is simply "throw money at it"... and if that was really an option on the table for me, I would be well on my way to helping MasterLu christen his new yacht.

Unfortunately, I have limited finances and must make quite a few compromises in component selection... at least for now. Given I can't do the "dream system" day one, I'd like to budget and plan upgrades over time via swap-outs. Not ideal, but it's that or shelf this project a couple more years.

I'm sure this can be argued as completely subjective and there are probably a wide variance of opinions, but I'd like to hear YOUR thoughts on the importance of timber matching in the context of home cinema. Will I listen to music in the room? Yes. Is that the primary function of the room? No.

I would like to use in-wall and in-ceiling surrounds and it would be nice to select something that I can install and not really focus on having to upgrade if I upgrade the front mains/center in a couple years. A good friend suggested that the most important thing (on this subject) was that the "big three" in the front match (same brand and preferably same line) and the surrounds matching were less important. I like this approach because it fits more easily into my budget/timeline. For me, today, that is SF Venere 3.0's. I'm not opposed to selling and buying something new, but this sets back my budget for other holes in the build. I was looking at purchasing Bowers and Wilkins in-wall and in-ceiling speakers for side, rear, and up top. AFAIK, SF only makes surface mount surround speakers... which I'd like to avoid (just a personal aesthetic preference). Any thoughts on how that combination might jive together?

Just fishing for thoughts and opinions. Working through how to approach this without spend spiraling out of control is proving to be challenging.

Thanks!
Clayton