View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Hi Cable Aficionados,

I have some basic questions about cables. I am looking to better understand the tonality differences between cables. I am not asking which cables are better, just figure out if there is a market consensus about specific brands and their "sound flavor". For example: are there brands that sound brighter than others? Or that have specific characteristics in general.

I have been using multiple cable brands in my system and trying to decide whether I should move to one brand, or cherry pick cables for each component separately. I currently use Kimber, WW and Audioquest across my system(speakers, interconnects and power). I tend to like "brighter" sound and sometimes feel that my system produces a fuller/heavier sound.

My other questions:

1. Do I need to use the same XLR brand between my Amps and Preamp and then between my DAC and Preamp? Or is it common to mix and match?

2. What would have more audible effect on sound, Amp->Preamp or DAC->Preamp cables?

I don't have the budget to purchase the top of the line cables so I always aim for middle of the pack when I buy (example: WW Eclipse 7 Interconnects, Kimber Base series).

Apologies for the many questions, and thank you in advance!

My system:
Preamp: PS Audio BHK
DAC: PS Audio DS DAC
Phono stage: PS Audio Nuwave
Amps: Mcintosh 601's
Speakers: B&W 802D
Lots of good questions and some great equipment that can really shine if feed with good power and interconnects. In fact if you are thinking at all about replacing any of your pieces - Don't. Cables will do a lot - many say it's as good or better then a major component upgrade. I totally agree!

My advice is to not mix and match cable brands. Depending on cost you may want to move around a bit within a line but I would definitely listen, hear then pick what you like and then keep buying more of the same. Another thing with sticking with the same brand throughout is there is definitely a synergy of them all working together towards the same end - satisfying you the listener.

Ideally a cable should not add or subtract from the overall sound some do which can be helpful with some components. Again its what you hear and like that should rule your choices. I know of no quick way as we all hear slightly different. If at all possible listen to some demo's so you can make an educated decision instead of just sales hipe. A couple of power, one or two interconnects and a SC should do the trick. Play a track or two that is well known then add power, interconnects then SC slowly over time and document the results.

I agree that power is king by a lot followed by interconnects then speaker cables. I would whenever possible stick with XLR for interconnects instead of using RCA. If you have no choice don't sweat it but if you do XLR is almost always best.

Your question 2 is a little hard to answer. Power most certainly particularly if you have a common connection or distribution hub for all your power connections. Its best to bring it in from one duplex then distribute. One thing for sure whatever power cord came with your component it needs to be replaced with something else - soon.

Back to power that starts at the wall. Do you have a dedicated circuit? 10 or 12 ga. wire? At least a heavy duty hospital grade duplex will also help. When you are listening to your system you are essentially listening to the power flow through your components. It all starts at the wall.

You did not ask for this but grounding is also a big part of a system. Its not power exactly but its a related subject that is often overlooked. Even a good earth ground to a common distribution hub can do wonders. There are obviously other ways to accomplish but this is a good place to start.

2 Channel: Bricasti M12 DAC & M28's Mono's Black / Aurender N10 Black / Treatments: RPG BAD ARC panels (F, S, Bass Trap & R walls)
Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's Subs tuned w/PBK
Grounding: Nordost QKore 6 (2-M28, 1-N10, 1-M12, 1-QB8, 1-Router) / 8' Earth Ground Rod / Bricasti M12 w/Acoustic Revive RGC-24
Nordost: 5-QV2 & QK1, 2-QX4 / 12-TC Kones, 27-Sort Fut & 28-LIft / O2/V2 Pwr / O2: SC, Digital & XLR's / H2 Network / V2 RCA Sub's
Misc: Mini iPad / Furutech GTX-DNCF / LED lighting / Aurender AMM / Lovan Rack / SR Quantum Blue Fuses & Black Box
Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6-Vanquish, Focus / Parasound: 3-A23 &1-31 / Entreq SM /65" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM60/ Nordost Tyr 2/Vahalla 2

Last edited by GW1800; 05-22-2018 at 04:41 PM.