View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 02:54 PM

Question Playing SACD audio on old equipment

As we recently moved to a new home, we wanted something decent to handle our old DVDs and our [newer] Blu-ray Discs. After the obligatory discussion with the "expert" at Best Buy, we decided to give the Sony UBP-X800 a try. I realize that this is an audio discussion board, but technologies have been mixing together since the advent of home theater sound and this is no exception.

As we were setting up our old solid state stereo equipment in the new place, we dusted off and hooked our old Denon CDR-W1500 (with HDCD capability) ... and, after rediscovering some of our old HDCDs -- I.E., Joni Mitchell's Ladies of the Canyon -- I decided that I wanted to try out the SACD feature that came with our new Sony UBP-X800. The problem seems to be that the UBP-X800 has only one AUDIO ONLY rear connector on it, and it is an HDMI type connector.

As our old stereo equipment is hooked up via RCA connectors, for the most part, I'd like to get some advice on how we might go about hearing the SACD audio signal available at the rear of the new UBP-X800. I know that the SACD format has been around a very long time, but HDMI hasn't ... so I'm trying to wrap my brain around what it will take to accomplish our goal of listening to [true] SACD music on our old Mac equipment.

By the way, we don't have ISP service here yet, so we're stuck with a mobile phone hotspot for now. Consequently, we cannot avail ourselves to the advice available via video (YouTube). I trust that you understand, and thank you for your time.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections