View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremayne View Post
A possible reason for the withdrawal of the A-02 and A-03 from the European market is non-compliance with a new EU regulation (yet another one), auto switch off. I'm told that Esoteric are working on it.
My K-01 has auto switch off, but it isn't in the owner's manual, and it caught me out a couple of times before I realised why it was switching off.
It's marked as APS >, and has the same options as FLaOFF ( the time after which the display will darken after playing stops and no operation is made).
The options are 15m, 30m, 60m and off.
After setting APS > OFF, I've had no problems with the K-01 switching off.
I must admit I've not heard of this new regulation. I don't see how it will be possible to retro add an auto off feature to an amp with a fully analogue architecture.

By the looks of the A-02/03 there are no logic circuits anywhere which is typical of power amps, even the majority of integrateds in high end audio. I would imagine it would require a total redesign of the architecture to add a feature like this. It would also mean that in the future amps will have to be a lot more complicated than needs be.