Thread: Aida 2
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 09:35 AM

If Ivan or anyone else is considering the Aida 2 they are going to need a better selection of music to help make their decision. The tracks used may have been selected by the Sonus Faber rep to show you these are not your fathers SF's. It seemed like he chose tracks that demonstrated the Aida 2's drivers could start and stop on a dime without any consideration for how they performed with classical, female vocals, strings or Americana etc. Maybe it was assumed we knew these have always been and are still the strength of the SF family.

I actually liked the video and explanation that preceded the demo. It was a bit long and having part of it continuing to scroll on the screen during the presentation wasn't a distraction to me. At least far less distracting than several of the musical choices.

What I did learn from the slide show was that everything is new in the speaker save for the exterior shape. No parts are carry over. The internal bracing is all redesigned. New crossovers. All drivers are new (?). They proved that these speakers are full range units that can rock with the best of them. On the one jazzy bass/saxophone track they reproduced those instruments beautifully. (and you guys know how much I dislike jazz)

I was in the first demo group of the night (along with Frank and Doug) so I am not sure what was played in subsequent sittings. As Bob noted above the "musicality" of the speakers was also never demonstrated in his sitting.

Bottom line. I think these speakers are more capable than the original Aida's in reproducing all genre of music. Whether current SF owners are looking for that or if this latest speaker has lost any of the musicality we are accustomed to from the brand, I couldn't tell from the selections played the other night.