View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 11:19 AM
PE, EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
I have the Lamm M1.2 Ref Monos. There are many preamps that would mate well with your amps. VTL and ARC are among the most recommended. And although I haven't heard the ARC with the Lamm monos, I have heard the VTL 7.5 preamp with them. And I think there are a variety of reasons why people don't choose Lamm Preamps to use with Lamm amps. The #1 reason I've heard is that there is no remote for the Lamm preamps. However, to my ears, the Lamm L2 sounds the most natural. If ur patient, you could find a good used Lamm L1 or another of their former offerings for dirt cheap. And u can use an adapter to convert XLR to RCA if necessary. The Lamm to Lamm combo reigns supreme. Let us know what you decide. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Hey Saint..

I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding LAMM pre and power amp synergy. That holds true for just about all mfrs including MAC. I presently have the C500 feeding a pr of MC501s and it sounds very good indeed...actually hard to imagine getting better sonics so I'm pumped. In an old thread Serge (PHC1) did a comparison of 3 preamps with his M1.2s. The Ayre won out but he did say that the C500P did not in any way limit the M2.2s. I'm thinking I will stay with my C500 initially and no doubt eventually will heed the LAMM preamp siren song. BTW my speakers are Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary MKIIs. Thanks for you comments!

Gavin Hadley