Thread: Subs for Salon2
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Totally agree. I think the CR-1 is a step in the right direction. It will be a factor of physical subwoofer placement along with phase correction to get us part way there. They already sound great in my system and hopefully (surely) there is room for improvement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trponhunter View Post
Once you try a good digital crossover, and have true time alignment - you'll never go back.
Even before I add a second sub, I will add a crossover. I've considered a BSS London Blue which is a high end fully digital device designed for the pro market. Considerations against it are that it will digitize the signal for both legs and the delay is focused primarily at users who need to align large scale delay towers, not the brief delays encountered in small room applications (maybe I have that wrong...it's how I remember it though). It also does more than I'd need, requires specific programming (although I am trained in that) and nobody I know has used one in precisely the way I'd intend. I think the main benefit it offers me is a full compliment of delays. It is considered a very good sounding device in the pro world, but it was never intended for studio work, more for large scale distribution of sound.

That puts the CR1 right back in my sights. A perfect solution would be the JL with a dedicated delay designed with short corrective times in mind. It could be assignable to either leg. Frankly, I suspect a CR1 like yours would be all I'd need since I have freedom of placement for at least two subs.

If I were to go to a three or four sub setup, additional delays would be handy but frankly, at a certain point I start chasing the dragon again and I don't have permission to do that. I don't even want to! . Since this is the Revel forum I will add that I believe the Revel Ultima sub included both a full crossover and delays, which undoubtedly added to its price. Not available anyway as they discontinued it, suggesting it was a bridge too far? One thing I do know is that Kevin Voecks (sort of) scoffs at the usual rotatable phase controls on most subs, hinting that they don't add much to the party.

Some folks I know are experimenting with a version of the dbx Drive Rack. That's a cost effective solution and cheap enough that you could buy one just for the delay section, maybe figure out a way to apply it to just the LF leg. I'm speculating and I'm not sure if it even has fine enough gradations to use for speaker alignment. Various versions of the BSS may have included that feature (I can't remember, it's been a while), as has I believe the Lake processor crossover section. Seems like a perfect product for a company like Bricasti that has pro and high end access.

To be honest, I'd be fine with a CR1, I'm sure!

Last edited by Pampero; 01-25-2017 at 12:19 PM.