View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
The 1st video had me scratching my head too but easily debunked when searching around and putting some thought into it.

It all has to do with the distance from the moon to the earth and the relative size of the Sun versus the moon. Here is an answer found online. Watching the link below, one can see that the total eclipse path would be 2150 miles wide in close proximity to the moon but narrows as one gets farther and farther away from the moon. I suppose it also has something to do with the fact of how light interacts with spheres like the moon leading to the conical shaped shadow

-----------

The Moon is definitely that wide (2150 miles), but please see the video we have posted a link to, at https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4579.
You see that the shadow of the Moon is actually a cone-shape, because the Sun is so much larger than the Moon. So, by the time that shadow gets to the Earth, its size has shrunk down to only about 70 miles wide.
This is a fact dictated by the laws of celestial mechanics.
I have to say, I am not a huge follower of conspiracy theories per say, although some have merits for sure and many conspiracy theories have become facts throughout history so one can never simply discount these things... The flat earth theory, when I first heard of it a few years back made me burst out laughing at first but I am always curious and open minded. It's not so much the theory itself that usually interests me but the reason and logic or lack thereof behind them. What makes people question certain things? What are their facts and suspicions, and more importantly why do they think that way?

Be they political, scientific, health related, I will usually look into it. What I find odd about the Flat Earth theory is that once you dive deep, it truly is easier to explain some of the facts and physics as if the earth was flat rather than round but to understand why, one must really sort through a pile of these videos to get to the ones that truly make you wonder if perhaps there is something to it...

Af far as this particular video about the moon shadow during the eclipse, well, let's just say I dare anyone to experiment with a flashlight, a tennis ball and a basketball or similar objects and tell me if there is any way possible to get the shadow to be smaller than the object itself. It simply does not work they way we are supposed to believe it. Celestial mechanics... Yeah ok.