Thread: Dac ?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 03:56 PM

Does the quality of COAX cable from streamer to DAC make any difference in sound?

According to my local audio shop of 52yrs, the owners says "it can make a difference". Really? Honestly, had no clue this part mattered too. All this time, used average cables thinking its just digital-out-to-digital in 0s & 1s, and all bits transfer, then it gets massaged later in the DAC has been my thinking all long. So, I did order/replace my Audioquest Cinnamon COAX with a NOS Cardas Lightening, just breaking it in now. Not sure if I wasted the money but wanted to try it and see. Giving it time for the cables to relax and my DAC is still breaking in. Still uncertain.

Thoughts anyone?

-------------------------------

[UPDATE]: later this evening, same day:
Not sure if it's break-in of the newer Arcam irDAC-II or Cardas Lightning COAX cable but I'm now experiencing notably more subsonic kind of low end, almost annoyingly low (wow), so much so I had my sub on at the time and and had to turn it way down or almost off. Highs have some extension I've never heard before, picking up on subtle details with ticks, clicks, pops on different tracks and the sound stage going waaaaaaaay out there at times. Not sure if it's going from the Burr Brown 1796 DAC in the irDAC to the newer ES9018 chip in the irDAC-II, but it's definitely a change. Not as smooth as the former DAC at 80hrs break in. Only 20hrs on the Cadas COAX and 80hrs on the new irDAC-II.

Last edited by decooney; 11-10-2018 at 08:56 PM.