Thread: Dac ?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
I was considering the Orchid. It's tube buffered, NOS with a 1541 chip.

I went with the Ukrainian DAC simply because the design and parts used looked interesting. FWIW, I did 'hear' it from You Tube videos. The Doors Riders on the Storm and some classical. usic had weight, texture and tone. Fingers still crossed.

I'd use that Arcam until you hear something better with your ears.
It's good you recognized some of the parts and/or know the costs to design and build such a DAC. It would seem like a lot of effort for someone to go through all of that work to sell it and have it not sound good. As you suspected, it could turn out to be pretty darn nice. Never know unless you give it a go, very cool. Good for u.

yeah, about 60hrs burn-in now on the week old Arcam irDAC-II. The little edge of harshness or extra detail it had brand new on day1 is GONE! Natural and smooth now, highs rolled off just a tad and now, nice vibrant midrange is coming out as i hoped. Better than i hoped, luckily. Can really hear the lushness and delicacy of my tube gear and the sound stage changed, wider and larger now. Listening to Dust in The Wind at 2 minutes in the violins sound really good. Music time!