View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
In my experience, yes, absolutely it would. Cat5e is not shielded, and any unshielded digital cable is susceptible to various noise factors, including RFI and EMI (shielding Ethernet cables creates other problems of their own, but that is a subject for another thread). Going optical would circumvent these problems, and the cable is also easier to route. Also, if you have a SMPS powering your Trendnet switch or Synology router, those are putting the insidious and nefarious low- and high-impedance AC leakage currents into your copper Ethernet connections (these leakage currents create all sorts of nasties, not the least of which is increased jitter and clock phase noise), and the run of optical completely abolishes those, as well.

Also, Uptone Audio will be releasing their new EtherREGEN Ethernet switch soon, and I would strongly recommend you replace your TrendNet Switch with that. Connect your Sonictransporter's Ethernet port to the "incoming side" of EtherREGEN, as well as your Synology router, and then use the SFP optical transceiver on the "output side" of EtherREGEN as your upstream FMC for the 35 ft run of optical fiber down to your audio rack. Then get a Sonore OpticalModule for the downstream end, and run a Shunyata Ethernet from that to the Linn. I would power the OpticalModule with an LPS, either a ReliaPro from Jameco, or better yet, an Uptone Audio LPS-1.2

With this setup, I'm quite confident in predicting you will obtain a LARGE degree of improvement in your digital streaming front end.

Let me know if I can help with any configuration or related questions.

Cheers, Tony.

Thanks Stephen, I appreciate the suggestions, I think this is a good roadmap for me. The 35’ run won’t be so easy to replace, but I’m retiring (for the 2nd time) in September and will have a little more time for an under-house adventure
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2