Thread: Western VA
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Retired

It was very interesting to contrast the leaf growth at the various altitudes. At the highest point on Skyline Drive (3700') there are essentially no leaves and just some budding. At 3000' the leaves are just starting to pop and below 2500' the are about fully out.

We had a terrific meal at the Waterwheel restaurant. The pork pate with their mustard, cornichon, pickled onions & very thin rye toast was as good as we've had in the U.S. Their food is all sourced as locally as possible and is fresh and close to organic. The Caroline salad I had was unique and excellent. Almost as good as the pate. Karen had the trout and I had the hanger steak. Again, both were excellent. We selected a sparkling Oregon pinot noir/chardonnay blend from their modest, but decent wine cellar. If we had any complaint, it would be that the wine wasn't cold enough. Not sure what was up with the ice bucket. We will definitely be returning for a more extended stay (leaves in the fall?). Very friendly, helpful staff. And, a babbling brook just outside our room. Most relaxing. Breakfast in our room tomorrow. Just call when ready and they bring it over. Have to beat the rain home.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag