Thread: Alexx concerns
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippyy View Post
B-At volumes I like to listen, certain electric guitar leads, piano notes or vocals seem a bit harsh.
I wonder if this is just how realistic or accurate the speaker presents the recording but it doesnt seem as full-bodied a presentation as the Alexias. This quality makes me feel that I am too close to the speakers, and that I have to reduce the volume to tolerate the treble which reduces the visceral impact I’d like to get from listening.

Any counsel is appreciated.
Unfortunately, despite all the praise for the speaker it has some serious issues as you can see from the waterfall plot in Stereophile's review:

That's potentially what you're hearing in the treble. It is bad enough that in the last (useless) paragraph where JA (if he needs to completely ignores the measurements and) blows sunshine up the manufacturer’s butt, even he has to grudgingly note how bad the waterfall plot is:

But there's a lot to admire in the Alexx's measured performance—as well as some things that raised my eyebrows, such as its waterfall plot and amplifier-punishing impedance.

Good luck.