View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 01:42 AM

Yeah I've noticed they do work in improvements over time without adding a v# or Mk # to the model name. Including that 7-to-8 shields on the Wild Blue Yonder - and you won't be able to visually discern which you have if the old plugs have been upgraded to new. With WEL Signature interconnects you can tell older/newer revisions by the outer braid fabrics used. Either way, even the older versions are excellent; and IMO even the ancient early-2000s Sky is still quite good. But you should expect a slightly better deal on the older versions. Looks like they also just discontinued the Wild Blue IC's in the latest price book, btw.

I ran Mont Blanc a while ago. Later added KE-4 (like a pure PSS silver CV-4) up top for a nice boost in resolution and a very minor decrease in coherence. I compared that biwire setup to a Redwood biwire, the latter of which I felt was about equal in resolution, and a bit more coherent to boot. I didn't hear any hint of the mismatch you noticed with the Oaks (I haven't heard Oaks); the Redwood was simply lovely. I didn't go with Redwood then, because I didn't feel the improvement justified the cost. Later I replaced the KE-4 with a Kilimanjaro (same as a pure PSS silver Mont Blanc), still with Mont Blanc on bass, to a very large increase in resolution and coherence. Though I no longer had the Redwood to compare, I felt the Mont Blanc + Kili was a better cable. Then I replaced the Mont Blanc bass with a 2nd Kili, to yield another nice resolution boost. And that's where I sit now - really no need to go anywhere from here. It's like a prototype WEL Signature, minus the various small improvements they've worked in since then. Kilimanjaros occasionally show up for a good price (under 2K for 6 ft pair), but getting 2 nicely matched pairs can take patience. AQ will shorten and reterm as necessary, and these cables go very nicely with the 1000 spades or bananas - but they can't supply the metal collars anymore (just cosmetic anyways). You can even get a longer pair and split into 2 pairs (e.g. 10' pair to two 5' pairs) - I had AQ do that for me on the KE-4, which started as a 15' single! You can get pretty creative here if you need to save some bucks over the very $$$$ later models. I've watched their prices on PSS per meter/gauge rise almost every year, with some BIG increases too. It's at the point now where the PSS pricing is getting right ludicrous. My 2 pairs of Kilis have a pound of PSS in them, which would probably cost around $30K or more in an AQ cable now.

Last edited by mulveling; 02-13-2019 at 01:46 AM.