View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPHANA View Post
I am not aware of any noise canceling headphones which “require” dedicated amps. If just to improve SQ, forget it. The noises which cannot be “canceled” will kill your every attempt to improve SQ. I used to travel every week. I once used an iFi DSD micro during flight, but it turned out to be waste of bag room.

Most noise canceling headphones provide about 25db of noise reduction. Depending on the plane and where you’re seated, that can be significant. I haven’t used NC phones in a few years, I switched to IEMs, which can provide 35-40 dB of noise reduction - certainly enough to be able to hear the difference in improved electronics. I spent a lot of time in the air before I retired a year ago, and going from an iPhone to an A&K made a big difference. I would think the Mac would provide a similar improvement.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2