View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 08:06 PM

“Did you get the upgraded umbilical?” Yes.

I have trouble comprehending the break in time so much talked about in the audio world. It is my belief that a lot of this came from room comb filtering; moving your ears a tiny bit can change the sound based off room acoustics. I also believe that it takes time to get used to a different sound; however, I am not seeking a debate. I am simply administering my opinion.

*Interesting that you are getting a sub crossover in pure direct mode - you shouldn't be. Are you only using analog ins?* Yes, except I do have HDMI from my Oppo into my Marantz but everything audio related is set to analog only. All other interconnects are strictly analog. Tone controls and all other settings are disabled but indeed the LP crossover works using any input. I can set my main speakers to large and the crossover will pass audio to the sub output in any mode. I did get a chance to listen to both 7.1 inputs vs. aux inputs in pure direct mode. It is more difficult than I had anticipated but after an hour back and forth I am of the opinion that there is a difference. The difference is subtle, but I believe the 7.1 input is more accurate. And of course in my case, the hi-end of the spectrum is more reviled on my horns enforcing my compliant of high end harshness. Regardless I am going to go with your suggestion and use the 7.1 inputs to be sure nothing gets in the way.

The good news is that the more I listen to various cd's, the more my like for this new tube mod turns into love. I tend to listen at higher volumes than most, but keeping the volume down helps tame the Kilpsch with the new tube mod. It’s been years but I have heard some very high end players. After spending more time today with the Oppo, I can completely see truth when Dan says the mod competes with players costing well over 5 times the BDP-95 completely modified.

Keeping in mind that my Jolida has $200 worth of NOS tubes, the one thing the Jolida has over the Oppo mod is strong midrange. If one could put the midrange from the Jolida into the Oppo, I could describe the new mod as audio nirvana to die for. The Oppo mod wins on every other level and the mid-range I speak of may change when my new tubes come in next week.

I plan to call Marantz and Outlaw audio next week in regard to pure-direct mode. I will report back as I acquire more info and spend more time with the new mod.

Last edited by RoyMercer; 12-05-2011 at 12:10 AM.