View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Damn ! An other post that excites my curiosity more and more for this brand. I'm very happy for you that you found what you've been looking for so long !
Not listenable in France.
I will be in Chicago area in 10 days.
Do you know an audio store that carries Shindo around Chicago ?
I should check on the Shindo site, but it seems to me that they don't have many dealers...
Jerome,

I thought about you while writing this review - and I almost sent you a message NOT to read it .

Unfortunately, as far as I know there are no Shindo dealers in Chicago - but someone else might chime in and correct me.

In any case, as I mentioned in the review, this is a very polarizing amplifier. I think people will either love it or hate it. If you like the very nice and neutral sound of the C1000s and have been happy without tone controls I am not sure you'd like the sound signature of this amplifier.

I am not saying this just to make you feel better (although that's also nice) but to emphasize that my enthusiasm and excitement is based purely on my subjective preferences - which are quite off the beaten path.

I thought many times about the McIntosh C1000s to go with my MDA1000, but in the end I knew that I would be ruining their beautiful balanced design and clean/neutral sound by shoving my C34V preamp with tone controls in the middle .

One question for you Jerome. How would you define the sound you are after? If your definition is not something like: "Very warm, relaxed and forgiving - even if it's at the expense of some speed, resolution and neutrality" then you are not missing anything. This would not be the right amp for you.

Now, for people with tastes like Vintage Pete on the other hand ... .

Alberto

Last edited by Alberto; 05-01-2011 at 07:36 PM.