Thread: Canary Islands
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 02:08 PM

What time of the year? I did a customer delivery to Gran Canaria in November two years ago and it def felt “off season” although weather was still warm and pleasant, low 70’s (F). Las Palmas had a very euro-mediterranean feel and it was nice to walk around and hit the local shops and eateries. Loved the local potato dish with the red pepper sauce (“wrinkled potatoes”) but IIRC, most of everything else (except the fish) was imported. Not sure I’d ever go back as a pure vacation destination, maybe one of the other islands has more going on? Very relaxed and chill attitude, reminded me most of Nice France in the fall. I heard there were nicer white sand beaches on other parts of the island but given the time of the year and limited time there I stayed mostly in the more developed areas.

I did do a few dives while there. 60ish deg water, required a 7mm farmer suit (I’m not dry suit certified). Much better than most Mediterranean sites I’ve been to, but nothing compared to Caribbean or Pacific Islands, although you do have 100’+ visibility. Lots of sponges and nudibrachs. Excellent choice if you’re into underwater photography. I used Davie Jones Locker diveshop, had great mix of staff/customers to join on daily dives.