View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 09:50 PM

Martin (aka Brasur), I do not doubt your findings, however, it seems to me that you are over-interpreting them. That is, what you have found applies only in the context of your room, speakers and music. As such your results can not be generalised (even though they may be valid for many people).

One very important limitation in your tests is the speakers which have (very) limited dynamic capabilities. This limitation will prevent you from drawing correct conclusions. The difference between C-24xx and C-28xx pre-amps can easily be heard when playing music exhibiting very sudden and very large dynamic variations. When using a speaker-amp combo capable to properly deliver dynamic variations one will find that the C-28xx pre-amps will sound significantly louder and faster than the C-24xx pre-amps. While the music will not necessarily sound constricted via C-24xx pre-amps, the difference between the soft and loud notes will be significantly smaller on the C-24xx units than on the C-28xx units. These differences will become even larger when using the C-38xx units.

I have mentioned more than once here that (with the C-3800 pre in my system) the meters of my A-65 amp show variations of 300-fold on certain CDs. While I did not do any rigorous tests, I do not recall to have seen such large power variations when I had the C-2810 pre-amp. With the C-2810 pre variations between 150- and 200-fold were not unusual. Now, differences in loudness caused by a 200-fold and a 300-fold increase in power are easily audible and measurable with a dB meter. (I personally appreciate systems with such dynamic capabilities - for me they sound more real.)

I hope my argument above will be received as meant, i.e. constructed criticism.

Paul

Last edited by nvp; 11-17-2015 at 10:15 PM.