Thread: Higher End DACs
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
Curious, are you thinking about $6k in the turntable because you think gains would be that much better relative to the $600 table?

Good point about the loudness issue - I had come across references to that in my readings and it was certainly disappointing. The whole issue of particular pressings/remasters, remastered from analog source vs digital, remixing, etc certainly add to the headaches of thinking about content.

Used to be I heard a song on the radio, went to the record store, took a look st the album, and bought it. Brought it home and put it on the stereo and that was pretty much it. If i liked it, I made a tape recording on a TDK so I could play it on my walkman when mowing lawns.
:
I just picked $6,000 to match the expense of my digital source. If I can get close for 1/10 the price, imagine what happens if I match!

On the loudness issue--best source for intel is the Dynamic Range Data Base. My MO is to pick the release with the highest range, then order off of Discogs

True that on the cassettes, though I was a Maxell guy--can't beat the poster with the music blowing back the guy's hair, tie, martini, haha