Thread: Giya Grilles
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugal View Post
Regarding grilles development, I believe the priority should be the B1(K1) series.

As I used to own a pair of B1 before upgrading to G3 here go my suggestions regarding improving the B1 grilles:

1. The protecting grids connect with the speakers right above the tweeters — when in place there is a "iron spike" right above the magnetised tweeters. As the grids do not lock to the speakers (they stay in place just by friction) it's possible that they detach and fall and then the "iron spike" is immediately pulled by the magnets destroying the tweeters. Happened to me and both tweeters were severally damaged. Solution would be to introduce a locking system (or at least magnets) or to connect the grids to the side of the tweeters instead of above — so that gravity doesn't help the magnet to pull the spike into the tweeter.

2. It would be interesting to have the grids with a metal net instead of cloth. Not only it would contribute to a Vivid look and feel matching the G series but would also be safer. Kids can put the finger and push the flexible cloth into the tweeters.

The rest is (to me) perfect.
I agree regarding the B1 grilles...they get grabbed by the driver magnets way too easily. I have a dented tweeter and midrange driver on the same speaker and, while I know how one happened (curious 90 pound dog nosed the grill causing the top pin to work lose and BAM! it went right into the tweeter) I have no idea how the other one happened. but if the grilles connected more securely, it would prevent a lot of accidents. IMHO anyway!