View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 11:52 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Dan,

I just read through your review and the thread for the Yggdrasil.

I must say that I am impressed with your words, and intrigued at the product.

I had borrowed a friend’s Peachtree Nova300 in my system before I ultimately picked up my McIntosh MAC6700 for my living room system.

I was shocked at the difference a DAC makes as they are both a very different presentation.

The McIntosh has a very familiar sound to my main rig which has a D100 run off a Mac mini into a c2300 > mc402 > b&w signature 800s.

I used to have a Wyred4Sound Dac2 (non-se version). In fact, I think I might have owned your old one, as I bought it from Maks here on AA a few years ago (and I thought he bought it from you). In either case, I know you are familiar with the DAC2.

When I compared the W4S dac2 with my D100, I noted the w4s had a much wider soundstage. It also seemed more detailed but the trade off was it rendered a little brighter than the d100. The d100 is super easy to listen to and tends to smooth everything out (at the expense of some detail). I do miss the larger soundstage sometimes, but I have a major sensitivity to brightness.

My question is what would you expect I’d hear in my setup with a Yggdrasil streaming tidal/Audirvana off of a Mac mini into the c2300, vs my existing d100? (I’d also bring it upstairs once in a while as the DAC for my mac6700 for fun).

What would I expect in that scenario (contrasted with something like the d100 and an older dac2)?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jason.......You may want to consider PrimaLuna. Check out my PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Integrated Amplifier Review. Great price point, solid build quality, and excellent sound.

Also check out my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review. A PrimaLuna ProLogue integrated amplifier and Yggdrasil DAC will deliver first rate audio for less than $5K total.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW