View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
My financial advisor has a standing statement that every penny spent on audio is mis-guided and ill-advised. For whatever reason, I do it anyway (note that he says the same thing about bikes, skiing, fishing, etc and I continue to do those things also).
I recently had my holdings evaluated by an independent firm, not by my adviser. I was told I had more money than I could ever spend. I immediately had the thought, that he never heard of high end audio. No pun intended. I never have thought of myself as wealthy or very smart. I'm the anxious sort low in self confidence although I suppose I have looking back on it accomplished quite a lot. I look back on all the things I've done and wonder, "Did I really do all this?" It's really crazy but I have these types of thoughts all the time. If I actually achieve an xvx I'll have the thought, "How did I do this?" Nobody can afford this speaker. The price is quite absurd and yet quite reasonable in a way, but I truly am now believing I will attain to one. Incredible!

I remember as a little boy looking in rapture at my dad's first hi-fi setting on our dinning room table: Warfdale bookshelf sand filled speakers, Allied tube Knight 20 watt per/ch integrated, Callero record player and Pickering cartridge. First record was South Pacific. The sound was amazing. I was hooked. Now my career in high end is over. It effectively ended at the grocery scanner in Walmart. I began with Warfdale bookshelf speakers and ended with a Wilson xvx in my mancave. What a story and what an ending!

Last edited by Charles; 11-01-2019 at 11:28 PM.