View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdown7 View Post
Does anyone know the tube rectifier info for a PSE amp? I have 6550's and KT88's. Not sure whether the 5Y3 or 5R4 rectifier should be used with these? I assume the 5R4 is to be used with 6550's and KT88's and the 5Y3 would be used with 6V6 output tubes?

Also, can the PSE run 5AR4 or 5U4 rectifier types? I know there is a sheet floating around Dennis made up showing different tube options and the related output wattage for the KT-88 Fire Bottles, but the PSE I am not sure about. Any info would be appreciated.

About the time Dennis started making PSE he also came up with the IIRPS (see recent sales on eBay). I seem to recall a few were sold before mine and mine was the first with the new PS circuit. With the IIRPS, typically the rectification is provided with diodes and the rectifier tube is a PS feedback buffer. With the IIRPS DH uses direct heated rectifiers (5y3, 5r4). A lower noise floor I was told. It will not hurt to run indirect heated rectifiers (5ar4) in the new PS but sound may be compromised.

I think I recall you bought your PSE on second hand market. If seller cannot tell you weather you got the IIRPS or not, pull the bottom cover off and send DH a picture. I know he can tell with a quick look. Maybe even easier, I can check the date on mine and if yours is a newer vintage you should know.

Scott