Thread: Sony HAP-Z1ES
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 07:25 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Seems my choices are to take the Sony & laptop back & forth to FL with me or just the laptop.
As I need a new laptop in any event, I'll start with a new 8GB memory, 2TB HD laptop. Is the 8GB/2TB good enough or should I have more memory?
What's the best software on the laptop? JRiver is mentioned quite often.

If I then decide on the Sony for my home system at a later date and have the music files on my laptop HD, will I be able to run them thru the Sony software into the HAP-Z1ES?

Glenn,

For the utility you describe, I would simply use a laptop with JRiver. (Once you get into Digital, ROON will likely become a better choice). Nicoff is correct to suggest not to travel around with the Sony as it is a heavy audiophile quality piece of kit.

To start, a 2TB HD is more than large enough to hold hires files. If you need more space, you can always connect a larger portable USB 3.0 hard drive.

Make sure the laptop has a CD drive or the ability to connect a USB CD drive so you can rip CDs. JRiver will rip CDs (EAC and dbPoweramp are also great choices).

Craig
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack